MIAMI – October 21, 2016 – Dream in Green (DIG), along with its sponsors, is pleased to announce the 2016 Green Innovators to be honored at the 2016 Living the Dream Annual Fundraiser on Thursday, November 10 from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. at The Palms Hotel & Spa, 3025 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach. The Green Innovator Awards was launched in 2007 to recognize outstanding companies and individuals for their leadership, vision and environmental stewardship in South Florida. Previous award recipients include Miami Beach Mayor Phillip Levine, Miami Marlins, Stearns Weaver, Covanta Energy, and 1 Hotel South Beach. This year’s honorees include:
- Green Innovator in Government: District 8 Commissioner Daniella Levine Cava Recognized for environmental advocacy in her district, Commissioner Levine Cava has a green track record which includes: Catalyst Miami; Chair of the Florida Association of Counties Growth Management; creating anti-fracking policy; and protecting Miami Dade’s drinking water to name a few. She has also been instrumental in promoting ‘green initiatives’ by encouraging K-12 schools from District 8 to participate in the Dream in Green Academy. She understands the importance of DIG’s Green Schools Challenge and WE-LAB workshops for future generations.
- Green Innovator in Government: Mayor Cindy Lerner, Village of Pinecrest Recognized for her leadership within the green movement, Mayor Lerner is currently the Chair of the National League of Cities’ Energy, Environment and Natural Resources Policy Steering Committee. With her foresight, The Village of Pinecrest has implemented ground breaking initiatives which help increase the public’s awareness of global climate change and also foster environmental stewardship for her current and future village residents.
- Green Innovator in Business: West Kendall Baptist Hospital Recognized for green building practices and energy efficiency, West Kendall Baptist Hospital is committed to protecting the environment. As a Silver Sponsor of Dream in Green, Baptist collaborates with Dream in Green to implement the WE-LAB (Water and Energy Learning and Behavior) program to educate staff and residents about energy and water saving behaviors. West Kendall Baptist hospital recently embarked on a new initiative focused on connecting community members, inspiring conversations and leading change related to sustainability in the West End community of Miami-Dade County.
- Green Community Innovators: Alison Burgos and Michelle Alexis, Seed Food and Wine Recognized as two of the most dedicated and passionate proponents of the clean food movement in our community, Alison and Michelle have undoubtedly left her mark in Miami-Dade as co-founders of the country’s first plant based food and wine festival- SEED. They use their voice to promote the sustainable values they live by and also as a vehicle for change to better the lives of those who live in our community.
- Green Facilitator: The Palms Hotel & Spa
The Palms Hotel & Spa showcases their commitment to the environment through their Inspired by Nature Program which includes reducing, reusing and recycling, organizing beach clean-ups and conserving water and energy. The hotel’s sustainability practices have been recognized by receiving a 4 Green Key eco-rating, being Florida Green Lodging accredited and receiving a Sustainability South Florida Award.
- Green Innovation Project: The Underline
The Underline will be Miami-Dade County’s first mobility corridor integrating all modes of transit and becoming the centerpiece of Miami-Dade’s park system and will promote healthier and greener lifestyles. The Underline will connect communities, improve pedestrian and bicyclist safety, create over a hundred acres of open space with restored natural habitats, encourage a healthy lifestyle, provide an easily accessible place to exercise, and create a mobility corridor that integrates transit, car, biking and walking.
Living the Dream brings together South Florida’s environmentally conscious community to support educational programs, celebrate Dream in Green’s success and showcase the Green Innovator Awards recipients. Telemundo correspondent Vanessa Huac will emcee the award ceremony. Guests will enjoy a cocktail reception featuring lavish hors d’oeuvres and premium drinks.
DIG is honored to have the annual event hosted by The Palms Hotel & Spa.
Event sponsors to date include Florida City Gas, Covanta, Vertical Bridge and ERM Group Foundation Inc. To become an annual fundraiser sponsor, please contact Karla Utting at firstname.lastname@example.org or 786-574-4909.
All proceeds from the Living the Dream fundraiser will benefit DIG programs. Tickets are $100 per guest and may be purchased by visiting https://www.eventbrite.com/e/living-the-dream-dream-in-greens-annual-fundraiser-tickets-27262401577?aff=ehomecard
For more information about Dream in Green visit www.dreamingreen.org.